[CS-FSLUG] Church Software Project

Clinton Evans clinton.evans at rogers.com
Mon Aug 8 20:26:34 CDT 2005

The automatic scripts generate a single file of the complete service. That
file is all that is available, immediately after the service. I then take the
file home and edit it into blocks. We provide, as standard, a full-service
recording and a reading + sermon recording, for older services.

I have been looking at some schemes for distinguishing music and speech, to
automate the process.  I would also help with sound processing. Our sanctuary
has all the acoustic finesse of a municipal swimming pool. At the moment, I
band-limit the audio to mitigate some of the problems.

It would be good to filter the music rather less aggressively and preserve
more of its dynamics.  As another problem for later, I hope to replace the
band-limiting with notch filters to remove some of the more troublesome
normal-modes of the room. However, these projects are on the back burner
until I get the database and burning code working satisfactorily.

I chose ZODB mainly because it looked useful for a lot of other things I do
and, hence, worth learning. I am a physicist by trade and most of my
programming is numerical in nature. I am an amateur at database problems and
straying well out of my area of expertise.

The merit of an object database is it can store more-or-less anything that
lives in your program -- it is not confined to tables like a relational
database.  With a lot of my code, I am scattering around lots of small files
and I hope an object database will help me tidy them up. Later in this
project, too, I expect to store things, for example trees, that don't fit
well in tables.

A draw-back is file-size. I doubt if ZODB would scale well to a really big
problem.  However, the audio files will always be orders-of-magnitude larger
than the database so it is not an issue for this project

So far, I have found ZODB pretty robust. However, you might get a better
estimate from someone who has used ZODB as the back-end of a large web site.
www.zope.org would be a good place to start looking.

Clinton

--
Clinton