[CS-FSLUG] Church Software Project

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Sun Aug 7 22:18:50 CDT 2005

On 08/07/2005 01:08:57 PM, Clinton Evans wrote:
> I volunteer for our library which, traditionally, has distributed the
> tapes. Being a Presbyterian Church, we NEVER challenge tradition so
> we wanted to produce CDs in the library, too.

I've also been looking at CD recording systems for our church. Oddly
enough, we're also Presbyterian. Though our limitations are cost rather
than tradition.

> The system that has materialized, so far, works as follows:
>
> 1)	The person who operates the sound system captures the
> 	service audio on his OSX Mac laptop.
>
> 2)	After the service, he runs a shell script which pipes the data
> 	to a Linux machine in the library. This machine captures
> 	the raw file and also produces a processed file, suitable for
> 	immediate burning. Optionally, it burns a couple of CDs of
> 	that service, automatically.
>
> 3)	We keep past services on disk and burn copies, while people
> 	wait, after the service.

Are the CD's one long service (like a tape)? Or is it divided into
tracks? That was one of the things I've looked for and not found:
putting different parts of the service in different tracks. First, it's
easier to skip the music and jump to the sermon. Secondly, then I can
extract special music and save it off for later playback.

I slapped out a Perl script that, hopefully, creates a new sound file
when I hit a key. Then I can burn a CD with one track per file. That's
the plan, anyway. I still have to test it out...

> Steps (1) and (2) are so tightly coupled to the operation of our
> Church that the options for using them elsewhere are pretty limited.
> However, item (3) may provide opportunity for a little
> cross-pollination.

I would be interested in what you learn about that database. I haven't
thought that far ahead yet. I saw Don's reply about Asaph, and will
keep that in mind.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love
him, who have been called according to his purpose. -- Romans 8:28