[CS-FSLUG] ISO Image Quality & Burn Speeds

Dommy E. Hamid d-e-x at spitfire.net
Fri Aug 5 21:11:57 CDT 2005

Chris Brault wrote:
> Indeed,
>

>>I have been dealing with issues pertaining to the
>
> use
>
>>of ISO images I burn, and want to know if others
>
> have
>
>>had the same experience or am I just doing
>>something wrong.
>

> This is a common problem

>>When I burned an Ubuntu image at standard speed on
>
> my
>
>>box, then tried to use it to install Ubuntu to
>>another box, I got an error message telling me
>>to burn the CD at a slower speed.  I dropped from
>
> the
>
>>max to about 32x, which apparently still wasn't slow
>

>>enough.
>>I noticed that the CD-ROM drive on the target box
>
> was
>
>>rated at 24x, so I slowed my burn speed down to that
>

>>level.  On the subsequent install attempt,
>>I still had problems with installing GRUB, among
>>other issues.  I tried again at 16x, and experienced
>

>>a flawless installation.  From this, I derive
>>the following conclusion:
>><> Burn the CD at a speed below the rated level for
>>the target drive.
>

> The number one problem is the quality of the CD, not
> the speed of the burn. Cheap CD's may not be rated for
> writing at high speeds (56x, 32x or even 16x). Some
> othe CD's may not even be balanced (i.e. deformed in
> the manufacture process). I have many CD's like this,
> especially from verbatim.

>>The 2nd issue is the quality of the burn.
>

> Once again, think quality of the CD.
>
> Gabe Ginorio

You know what, maybe the quality of the CD is ok.. but the quality of
the burner is not. There was a roundup review of DVD-RW a while back in
Anandtech. The first thing I notice is that one DVD-RW produces more
errors on the same blank DVD than others. Cheaper DVD-RW usually gives
out more error, some cannot even read the DVD it burns.

Dommy

---