[CS-FSLUG] Mandrake 2005LE and NVidia drivers

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 00:24:21 CDT 2005

I've got Mandrake 2005 LE installed at the moment, aside from some
fonts not being anti-aliased I'm also bothered by the fact that the
nvidia drivers package won't compile and work. I've installed the
kernel-source-2.6 package, and when that didn't work I installed the
kernel-source-stripped-2.6 rpm, but neither would provide me with a
working nvidia kernel module.

Is it possible that Mandrake is blocking the use of nvidia drivers
that aren't released by them, even when the nvidia packages are
compiled by hand? It is plausible since one of the selling points of a
boxed set is the inclusion of proprietary drivers like the nvidia and
ati ones as RPMs.

BTW. Did anyone find a workaround to that problem with KDE throwing
the icons around when you log in? I arrange them one way, and when I
log in again later the icons have been moved to the side.