[CS-FSLUG] Another chapter in my transition to Linux saga

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Thu Apr 28 00:28:00 CDT 2005

> > To get around the CLI, you'll need:

> > Also critical is the 'man' command. Use it like 'man ls'. This will give
> > you short manual page with information on usage of the command. Use
> > 'space' to scroll down a page at a time or 'enter' for a line. The arrow
> > keys also work. 'less' also uses this convention. to exit type 'q'.
> > Search with '/stuff' where stuff is the string you are looking for.
> >
> > That's pretty much everything that got me stuck when I started messing
> > with this, I think. Anyone know any other basic commands that I missed?
>
> my favorite was exit and q
> especially when i had sat there and had sweat rolling off my forehead from
> concentrating so hard that the screen gets blurry..i made myself a list of
> the commands that i use and that have helped everytime.

You know, Brenda, I do that a lot! I poke around in something trying out
various things, and as soon I am too unsure, or afraid of clicking the wrong
thing, I exit too. The second or third time I often stick around longer.

> to start any program that isnt showing in the list after install just open
> terminal/shell and type the name and hit enter.
> i use mozilla firefox so that is what i would type. and after that it
> should show in the list.

I had to do that a few times last night with another program, until I spoted
my typos and could move on to the next step. :)

> > > See? Give me a cm and I'll take a meter of answers from you! :)
> >
> > My CLI snobbery :-) keeps me from using tools like kget. I tend to push
> > anyone away from the GUI, though you may like to stay there (and that's
> > fine). Others can help with that.

> > Someone else may be able to help with the GUI stuff.
> >
> > JSR/
>
> hehehe gui snobbery.if it wasnt for gui i wouldnt have made it 3 years. but
> commandline is so powerful if you take time to learn it.you find that you
> have a smoother time with commandline especially when dealing with RPMS
> like they are in mandriva.

That's my plan!

> a real good editor is vim/vi and get vimtutor also.it has actual practice
> sessions for those of us that had no idea what they were talking about.cant
> remember some small step,just load another terminal with the tutor and you
> can find it.
> br3n

What a good idea! I'm looking for that vimtutor.

--
Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth Marlene Friesen

When you meet Ruthe and her Friend -
You've got Friends! http://www.Ruthes-SecretRoses.com
                       \o/
P.S. Buy it & it's on its way to you within 48 hours!
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RSR.html
or as e-book to download right away -
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/rsr/Intro.html