[CS-FSLUG] Another chapter in my transition to Linux saga

brenda b29651 at charter.net
Fri Apr 22 09:39:52 CDT 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 10:19 am, Josiah Ritchie wrote:

> Also, become familiar with a commandline (CLI) text editor. nano is
> great if your hosting company has it on their server. Remeber to always
> use the '-w' switch. It keeps it from wrapping lines which can break
> things in code like CSS and Java. If nano isn't available, you may want
> to stick to editing on your own desktop and transferring or using the
> website's control panel. There are other comparable ones, but I don't
> know them off the top of my head. 'vi' and 'emacs' are great editors but
> may not be worth taking the time to learn them. Code hackers love them
> though for their flexibility.
>
> To get around the CLI, you'll need:
>
> 'ls'      (list files in current directory)
> 'ls -l'   (list with permissions and other attributes)
> 'pwd'	  (what directory am I in? or present working dir)
> 'cd dir'  (change directory)
> 'cd ..'	  (.. is a shortcut for going back 1 directory in the tree)
> 'cd ~'	  (~ is a shortcut that takes you back to your home dir)
> 'rm file' (remove file)
> 'mv file newfile (move or *rename* a file)
> 'less'	  (this is a pager. Pipe othe commands into it like
>            this 'cmd |less' to scroll through output -- see next para.)
>
> Also critical is the 'man' command. Use it like 'man ls'. This will give
> you short manual page with information on usage of the command. Use
> 'space' to scroll down a page at a time or 'enter' for a line. The arrow
> keys also work. 'less' also uses this convention. to exit type 'q'.
> Search with '/stuff' where stuff is the string you are looking for.
>
> That's pretty much everything that got me stuck when I started messing
> with this, I think. Anyone know any other basic commands that I missed?

my favorite was exit and q
especially when i had sat there and had sweat rolling off my forehead from
concentrating so hard that the screen gets blurry..i made myself a list of
the commands that i use and that have helped everytime.

> > It has taken me two days to figure out how to download Firefox and give
> > it the right install commands. But it doesn't show up anywhere to open
> > yet. Do I need to reboot first?
>
> NO! The only thing you 'have' to reboot for in Linux is a new kernel and
> I've seen some who can avoid that though it is torturous.

to start any program that isnt showing in the list after install just open
terminal/shell and type the name and hit enter.
i use mozilla firefox so that is what i would type. and after that it should
show in the list.

> > See? Give me a cm and I'll take a meter of answers from you! :)
>
> My CLI snobbery :-) keeps me from using tools like kget. I tend to push
> anyone away from the GUI, though you may like to stay there (and that's
> fine). Others can help with that. 'wget' is a simple downloader on the
> commandline. 'wget http://your.url/here' is the syntax. It then pulls it
> down with a pretty progress meter. sftp is a secure implementation of
> ftp over ssh. You'll need to start it with a command like 'sftp
> admin at ritchietribe.net'. It will then allow you to 'put' and 'get'
> files. This is a bit complicated and might be worth avoiding. I prefer
> scp (secure copy) which is less flexible, but also a secure way to
> transfer files between 2 machines with ssh. the syntax is 'scp
> source.file ruth at remotemachine:/dir/to/place/file/in/'. Using wildcards
> you can send all files in one directory onto another machine. That would
> look like this 'scp /source/dir/*.html
> ruth at remotemachine:/dir/to/place/file/in/'.
>
> Someone else may be able to help with the GUI stuff.
>
> JSR/
hehehe gui snobbery.if it wasnt for gui i wouldnt have made it 3 years. but
commandline is so powerful if you take time to learn it.you find that you
have a smoother time with commandline especially when dealing with RPMS like
they are in mandriva.

a real good editor is vim/vi and get vimtutor also.it has actual practice
sessions for those of us that had no idea what they were talking about.cant
remember some small step,just load another terminal with the tutor and you
can find it.
br3n