[CS-FSLUG] Another chapter in my transition to Linux saga

JD Runyan Lists at RunyanRants.Net
Thu Apr 21 17:53:12 CDT 2005

Ruth Marlene Friesen wrote:
> I was just trying out something named SSH last night to upload pages to my
> site, and I had to back out as I couldn't figure out how to use it. Can you
> give me a 101 lesson in a paragraph or two?

Good for you, SSH will provide you with a secure  method to transfer
your files to the webserver. I suggest you open konqueror, and then type
in the address bar "sftp://<webhostname>" replacing <webhostname> with
your web server. It should prompt you  for login information. You  may
still have to adjust permissions, but you will  be able to use konqueror
to do  that.

> It has taken me two days to figure out how to download Firefox and give it the
> right install commands. But it doesn't show up anywhere to open yet. Do I
> need to reboot first?

No windows thinking now. Firefox does not install an icon of its own.
You will need to run it manually. hitting 'alt+f2' should bring up a run
dialog box. type '/opt/firefox/firefox' in the box, and see if it runs.
If you know that you installed someplace other than /opt, then use that
instead. You can create a launcher(icon) for firefox in KDE using your
right click. You will have to choose create link to application or
something similar.

--
"If the fans don't come out to the ball park, you can't stop them."
--Yogi Bera