[CS-FSLUG] Another chapter in my transition to Linux saga

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Thu Apr 21 17:31:38 CDT 2005

Ah, Josiah,
I've got more questions for you!

> > > Mutt and SSH give you similar flexibilty as long as you can SSH into
> > > the machine. I carry a USB stick with PuTTY on it for that kind of
> > > access. I use it at work frequently also.
> >
> > Okay, this is still strange territory for me. I'm going to have to study
> > up on it, as I can sneak the time to do so.  Thanks, for the
> > recommendation.
>
> It isn't too complicated. I'm sure many on the list can help out. SSH is
> much like a remote terminal. Many people try to stay away from that so
> it may not fit if this is true of you.

I was just trying out something named SSH last night to upload pages to my
site, and I had to back out as I couldn't figure out how to use it. Can you
give me a 101 lesson in a paragraph or two?

The FTP programs that come with Mandrake 9.1 are gFTP Kftp, and Lftp.
I tried the first one a few weeks ago, and the next day, checking on something
on my site I discovered that all the pages I had uploaded the night before
had their permissions changed, and neither I or visitors could get in to see
them! I had to use the File Manager on the hosting server to fix that as I
could not find anyway to control permissions in gFTP.

Kget seems strange. I get a message asking if I want to integrate it with
Konqueror and then nothing after I say yes. Or where do I look for it in
Konqueror?  I did learn that one can use Konqueror for ftp, but when I try to
connect to my sites, I get a message telling me that they are private, not
anonymous sites. (Which I know, thanks:)

So last night I tried Lftp and up comes a console type window - and I had to
close it as I'm clueless as to how to use that. Got to find documentation
first, I guess.

It has taken me two days to figure out how to download Firefox and give it the
right install commands. But it doesn't show up anywhere to open yet. Do I
need to reboot first?

See? Give me a cm and I'll take a meter of answers from you! :)

--
Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth Marlene Friesen

When you meet Ruthe and her Friend -
You've got Friends! http://www.Ruthes-SecretRoses.com
                       \o/
P.S. Buy it & it's on its way to you within 48 hours!
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RSR.html
or as e-book to download right away -
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/rsr/Intro.html