[CS-FSLUG] Another chapter in my transition to Linux saga

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Wed Apr 13 11:16:21 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:25 -0600, Ruth Marlene Friesen wrote:
> For about a month before Easter I was spending half days in Mandrake, but
> going back to Wind98 to deal with emails in the afternoon. Mainly because I
> was hoping to use Wine to keep using my Pegasus (email client) in Mandrake.
> Mostly I could only work on that on Saturdays, stealing time from other
> things. I had got to the point where I could see this was not going to work
> well, so I gave up and decided to set up my emails in KMail and Evolution.

You might consider using IMAP for email (instead of POP) and configuring
it to leave the email on the server. Several advantages of this include
the lack of needing to worry about conversion. Also, most webmail
clients are really just web IMAP clients so you probably can manage to
use your email providers webmail client when not at home and Kmail or
Evolution when you are. I'm personally all about flexibility. I don't
like having too much in one restricted location.

Mutt and SSH give you similar flexibilty as long as you can SSH into the
machine. I carry a USB stick with PuTTY on it for that kind of access. I
use it at work frequently also.

JSR/