[CS-FSLUG] KPPP hangup

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Sun Sep 26 00:19:00 CDT 2004

Thanks, Robert,

Robert W. wrote:

> On 09/23/2004 01:22:31 PM, Ruth Marlene Friesen wrote:
>
>> Okay, I read this day before yesterday , just before going back into
>> Mandrake, so I followed your instructions. The log file looks like
>> this;
>> Sep 21 14:47:22 localhost pppd[2012]: pppd 2.4.1 started by *****,
>> uid ***
>
> Try setting the user name and password for PAP...
> 1) Log in as "root".
> 2) Edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> 3) Add a line similar to this (without the quotes): "* * password"
> 4) Save the file.
> 5) Try KPPP again.
>
> In step 3, replace "password" with the actual password for your ISP
> account.

I tried that, only to discover it was already done.

Then I remembered that when I'd installed the Linuxant driver for my
modem, something didn't go quite right, and they advised me to take
these other steps. I'd forgotten that I had to go into Mandake control
first, and do a fresh setup each time I want to go online.

Then - I go into a terminal, su to root, and add these lines;
hcfpciconfig --serial
depmod -e -a
modprobe -v/dev/ttySHCF

After that I can go to KPPP and dial up with no problem.

However, I sure hope one day to find a short cut! It is quite a routine! :)

Does anyone know of a way to program all this so I can just click on an
icon or open my email , or a browser, to get the dialing going?

I did get online again using this routine, but it was too late, and I
was getting too sleepy to do anything.

Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth