[CS-FSLUG] How to keep from getting spammed?

Jerry Van Brimmer jerryvb at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 19:11:43 CDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 14:57, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Jukka Y <mail at ylonen.info> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 September 2004 06:47, Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:
> > > So, lets talk spam!
> >
> > I just got some funny spam and wanted to share it with the list. What
> > would you like if the spam you get started to look like this?
>
> I'd like us to contribute to actually solving the spam problem.
>
> I'd suggest that we pray for wisdom in this matter for a week and
> then discuss what to do about it.
>
> Do you agree? :-)

I agree, and welcome to the list Norbert. Here is a site that has one
solution:

http://www.spamdontbuyit.org/

Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to get the word out to the whole "'net"
population. I think the site has "a" valid point. But, I believe that not all
spammers are doing it for the money. Some, now I'm just speculating here,
probably do it just because they can, for the fun of it. Like virus writers;
are there any profits to be made from writing and releasing viruses? None
that I am aware of. Maybe someone will educate me on this point. Spam is a
problem, but in my opinion, it will remain a problem until we all go to a
challenge/response type of email system. I've ofen thought that the
challenge/response type of system is the answer to the spam problem, at least
for those who use such a system. But, some people are offended at the request
to verify themselves, and so never complete the verification process. The
above web site does have a valid point, if nobody were responding to spam,
then what's the point of spamming? I've just been thinking and rambling here,
not necessarily trying to make any point.

Jerry

> Blessings,
> Norbert.
>
> P.S. I haven't introduced myself yet, so here goes:  I'm a Christian
>      living in a village near Zurich, Swityerland.
>      I'm also deeply
>      involved in the DotGNU project, see http://dotgnu.org

The KING is coming!..................Rev. 1:7
Linux User #153217..................http://counter.li.org