[CS-FSLUG] How to keep from getting spammed?

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 22 08:35:00 CDT 2004

At 11:59 PM 9/21/04, Don Parris wrote:
>PowWeb, my webhost, uses greylisting, mentioned in another
>e-mail on this list.  I still a get a bit of spam, but very little.

A point of clarification - greylisting must be installed on mail server
receiving email for domain, it's not a client side solution.

I've been using it on my OpenBSD server for a few weeks now.  With
greylisting, there is no such thing as a holding area - either the message
gets to your mailbox, or it's rejected.  It works very well, I've not heard
about any false positives from users.  I've only found two "problems" so far:

1)  ISP's that use SMTP server pools.  Greylisting doesn't like ISP's that
use a different server when asked to resend a message.  These "pools" end
up being "whitelisted".
         http://greylisting.org/whitelisting.shtml

2)  The server providing secondary mail server support for my server does
not use greylisting.  A spammer that connects to the secondary MX will
bypass the greylisting system.

Frank