[CS-FSLUG] How to keep from getting spammed?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Tue Sep 21 23:37:34 CDT 2004

On September 21, 2004 09:47 pm, Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:
[snip]
> lets talk spam!
>
> Jerry,
> a spam hater

I have a few e-mail accounts, one with our ISP, one with Yahoo and one with
MyRealBox.  I used to use MyRealBox mostly as one I'd tell to people I don't
know well however since Yahoo increased my space I've started using them
more.

Back when I had a RoadRunner account I was getting a deluge of spam, from what
I've observed over time it would seem the most common place for Spammers to
collect e-mail addresses is in mailing lists and especially on usenet. I
don't think the CS-FSLUG list is a common place for spammers to collect
addresses though since I've lost track of how long I've been subscribed to it
and during that time when I've changed e-mail addresses I didn't start
getting spam again until I did something like post my e-mail address on the
internet.

At one point with RoadRunner though I had to set up filters in KMail that
would send everything to the trash with the exception of anything with
[CS-FSLUG] or nospam (upper or lower case) in the subject line. As it is
right now a fair number of e-zines have been predicting the end of e-mail
although I'd rather not lose the only method I have of transferring homework
between home and school (no storage mediums are allowed because they're
afraid of adding more viruses to the already ample collection lurking in the
school network).

There's an interesting chapter on regular expressions in one of my Linux
programming books as well as in the Qt documentation and a number of my Qt
books, possibly even my Java books. I don't know however if KMail will allow
me to set up filters that use regular expressions but it it did then I could
have some powerfull spam filtering.

If you want a quick fix there is a program called E-Remove for Windows and a
Linux clone of it available here: http://eremove.sourceforge.net , its not
spam filtering but it will let you delete spam from the pop-server before
downloading it with your e-mail client.