[CS-FSLUG] KPPP hangup

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Tue Sep 21 12:39:02 CDT 2004

Hi, folks.
I sent - or thought I did - this email week before last and noticed that
there have been no replies. On checking closer I don't think it got
through at all, so I'm sending it again. Just in case someone can give
me a good tip for getting my KPPP to dial up  in Mandrake 9.1.
Thanks so much!

Thanks, again, Eduardo!

>>>Somehow I need to find out how I can open a file and let it know that
>>>I am the boss...
>>>

>>>Let's say that you use KWrite to edit /etc/modules.conf. In that
>>>

>case,
>

>>>you're pretty right, you need to tell the system who's the boss! In
>>>order to do so, invoke again the famous ALT+F2 command-line dialog
>>>(isn't it handy??) and when there, type the following:
>>>
>>>kdesu kwrite /etc/modules.conf
>>>
>>>After clicking "Run" or "OK", a dialog box will appear asking for
>>>

>your
>

>>>root password. Type the password and click "OK". After that, the
>>>

>KWrite
>

>>>editor will appear with /etc/modules.conf, which you may edit to your
>>>heart's content, *and* will let you save it. (Just be careful,
>>>remember, you're root now! If you messed something up, just don't
>>>

>save,

That worked fine. Now my KPPP seems to have some hangup. I mean the
modem hangs up before it gets fully connected. The message is about
timing out. So I moved the settings from 30 sec. to 60. Then I get
that... the pppd daemon had died unexpectedly. Exit status 16
(2nd time it was 19) It did give directions to the man pppd which looks
huge. I haven't had time to study it all.  :)

Any shortcuts?