[CS-FSLUG] Linux Advice

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Sep 20 23:31:19 CDT 2004

Tim, are you sure Gentoo would compile with only 8 MB of ram?

I don't think most distributions would run on that, even older ones as long as
there is so little ram, however as is characteristic for me I'm going to
suggest that on old computers you use old distributions. Storm was a good one
but I can't remember what the minimum requirements were for that.

The QTopia distribution however seems like a good idea, I never knew it was
available for regular computers on a floppy disk, do we have a name for that
distribution?

On September 20, 2004 09:35 am, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> Howdy Christopher,
[snip]
> > 100Mhz
> > 8MB ram
> > 400MB hard drive
> > broken floppy drive
> > dead beyond recharging battery
>
> 	Hmm... that's a toughie. You might try Gentoo

[snip]

> 	TrollTech use to have a Qtopia based distribution that was on floppy,
> but I doubt that would meet your needs, since you want to use ham radio
> software on it. Any chance you can upgrade that ram?
>
> 	-Tim

[snip]