[CS-FSLUG] Linux Advice

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 20 10:35:11 CDT 2004

Howdy Christopher,
> Ironic that I should be asking for some advice right now, but I will
> anyway. As many know, I bought a laptop computer a few months back.
> It's specs were as follows:
>
> 100Mhz
> 8MB ram
> 400MB hard drive
> broken floppy drive
> dead beyond recharging battery

	Hmm... that's a toughie. You might try Gentoo -- I'm sure Josiah will
suggest such -- I'm not sure how long it would take to compile
everything on that system, but when it is done, it ought to be as fast
as it possibly can be.

	TrollTech use to have a Qtopia based distribution that was on floppy,
but I doubt that would meet your needs, since you want to use ham radio
software on it. Any chance you can upgrade that ram?

	-Tim
Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)