[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea 6

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Mon Sep 20 18:52:01 CDT 2004

Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> Let's try intext Bible readings this week. Let me know if you like this
> inclusion of the WEB text

I don't.

> Ice Breaker: It is easy to get an early start ("like the dew") but
> "disappear early." Have you ever been really enthusiastic about
> something only to have your enthusiasm disappear early, leaving that
> something up in the air?

It's been a long time. Any more, it results from being deceived about
the situation.

> 1.) Do you think "the third day" reference has something to do with the
> Messiah?

No; I believe it was a common idiom of the day. It means that if one
repents and turns to the Lord, he will not have long to wait for a
gracious response. In real terms of ancient travel in Palestine, a
response in three days from the royal court is rather like the
guaranteed max length of time for a runner sent with an urgent message.
Thus, it's like saying, "right away."

> 2.) Do you see the references to Israel as mostly pointed toward Judah
> or Samaria as well?

I see them mostly as pointed to the northern half of the nation, whose
capital is Samaria. The context usually makes it clear if the term is
meant inclusively of the whole nation.

> 3.) What do you suppose was especially bad about Gilead?

Nothing special. It's not so different from the communist anthem by
Guthrie, that made reference to "New York Island" or "Redwood Forest" or
whatever. It's just a way of grabbing the reader's attention with poetic
references to well known geographical terms.

--
Ed Hurst