[CS-FSLUG] Switching to linux

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Sep 19 21:20:25 CDT 2004

On Sunday September 19 2004 11:52 am, David M. wrote:
> Hey all, I got my neighbor to switch over to linux yesterday.
>
> Problem is, I talked so highly about Linux and what it can do and I
> convinced him to put it on his computer and do away with that windows 2000
> professional.
>
> Well after I got it all installed, it run great, but I couldn't get his
> sound to work for the life of me.
>
> He has an onboard sound and Mandrake cannot reconize it. He bought the
> computer from a buddy for 300 bucks and didn't get any software or
> documentation with it.
>
> I looked up the model on the internet and tried to find out what sound
> system he may have for his model, and I thought I found it, but it didn't
> work when I tried it.
>
> I have no idea how I can solve this problem. I feel like a complete idiot
> after talking so great about linux and then failing to get the sound
> working.
>
> I could really use some help here. I feel so stupid after talking so highly
> about linux.

David, there's a LOT of sound chips in use that not even MickySoft works well
with. A way around this is to get a (PCI) sound card, they aren't expensive,
checking the card against the compatibilty list first. Now, BEFORE you do
that, run gamix and play with ALL the controls, as it might actually be
working.......just need to put the volume up on one setting.

Fred

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."