[CS-FSLUG] Television

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sun Sep 19 12:25:00 CDT 2004

Hi Christopher,
> I can not help but wonder what it is that is happening to America. I
> constantly hear radio broadcasts about various "reality" television
> shows, sitcoms, and dramas. I regret that I have watches at least one
> or more episodes of some of these shows and I
[...]

> not bother me, as at least my son is growing up without a need to
> watch cartoons and he isn't exposed to all the garbage that the cable
> companies are trying to sell us as entertainment.

	You'd hate my house then. I have cable internet and cable telephone
(plus a dish -- cheaper than cable TV).  ;-)

	Our cableco around here allows you to buy their services ala carte,
and their internet and telephone service are the best values in town.
For TV, Dish Network is the best.

	Why do I like "cable TV"? Because its the only thing that provides
anything worth watching. While I recognize that many cable TV stations
have nasty programing, many also have far more wholesome, edifying or
otherwise useful fare than broadcast TV. Take for instance C-SPAN --
I'm really starting to love that channel. It has so many great things,
such as wall to wall coverage of the political conventions this summer,
book reviews (one of which was filmed during a live radio broadcast
that I was in this summer... yes it is true, I was seen on C-SPAN2
asking a question of an author on June 20, 2004 :-)), etc. I also enjoy
CNN/CNN Headline News and Fox News occasionally to find out what's
going on in the world.

	Then, when you want to watch a movie or TV sitcom, you don't have to
deal with the repulsive stuff on broadcast networks. Instead, I might
tune into TV Land or another channel with a classic sitcom (I Love
Lucy, Leave it to Beaver, Dick van Dyke, I Dream of Jeannie, etc.) or
-- very occasionally -- perhaps watch a classic movie on AMC.

	For whatever reason, I also find the Weather Channel strangely
enjoyable to watch. It's peaceful and interesting. If I'm hungry, the
Food Channel can be entertaining as well. HGTV even has some fun stuff,
such as a recent special event where they showed what the insides of
RV's look like -- I mean, how often do you get to see a the inside of a
$400,000 RV? I'm not even remotely looking to buy one, but it was
interesting. TBN even rarely has something good on -- for instance,
they had a concert with CCM singers such as Michael W. Smith, Steven
Curtis Chapman, Twila Paris, etc., at the White House this spring. The
Catholic station -- EWBT, I believe -- had a wonderful Easter special
on this year too.

	I'm not saying cable television is right for everyone, but I do
believe there are more wholesome, informative and even more enjoyable
programming on these channels than one can find on broadcast TV. The
only time I ever tune into ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox is if they have some
Christmas special... or, most recently, I watched some NBC to see the
Olympics. Otherwise, broadcast television is mostly filth. The only
reason I watch any TV at all is because of the excellent, non-filthy
stuff that is available only by subscription on cable or dish. Plus, of
course, without satellite, the best I could hope for is an extremely
snowy picture -- reception is tough these days -- I wonder if perhaps
cellular towers interfere or something? I know my GSM phone messes with
the TV.)

	(For those figuring that I must be a big TV buff, that isn't true. I
may watch a half hour to an hour a day, many days I watch nothing at
all... but I make especially good use of it when something is happening
-- for instance, during Operation Iraqi Freedom, I kept CNN on in the
background while I did other things. I'll likely do the same when the
election nears.)

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)