[CS-FSLUG] Switching to linux

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Sun Sep 19 12:04:21 CDT 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:52:24 -0400
"David M." <dave at edificationweb.com> wrote:

> Hey all, I got my neighbor to switch over to linux yesterday.
>
> Problem is, I talked so highly about Linux and what it can do and I
> convinced him to put it on his computer and do away with that windows
> 2000 professional.
>
> Well after I got it all installed, it run great, but I couldn't get
> his sound to work for the life of me.
>
> He has an onboard sound and Mandrake cannot reconize it. He bought the
>
> computer from a buddy for 300 bucks and didn't get any software or
> documentation with it.
>
> I looked up the model on the internet and tried to find out what sound
> system he may have for his model, and I thought I found it, but it
> didn't work when I tried it.
>
> I have no idea how I can solve this problem. I feel like a complete
> idiot after talking so great about linux and then failing to get the
> sound working.
>
> I could really use some help here. I feel so stupid after talking so
> highly about linux.
> --
> David M.
> http://www.edificationweb.com
> http://www.davidcentral.net

Just a thought -- try using knoppix (or something similar) to see if it
can recognize the card. Then you can use the info to manually configure
Mandrake -- or use a *better* distro......

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com