[CS-FSLUG] A couple of thoughts on denominations

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Sun Sep 19 08:25:47 CDT 2004

Don Parris wrote:
> I have long viewed denominationalism as "not an all bad thing".  While
> it seemingly divides believers - and to some extent it truly does, I
> think that denominations are one way that God makes the best of our
> human condition to reach out to so many different people.

Good response, Don.

Has it been that long? Two years ago, I beleive I posted something to
the effect that the local church is often a circus, in the sense that an
outsider might be highly amused at some of our silly antics. The things
we are willing to fight over! Yet this is indeed God's chosen means of
revealing Himself.

Were it not for the comfort that only a denomination could provide, I
might not be in the ministry. Even among my own Southern Baptists, there
are congregations that are so alien I cannot bear to be with them. While
I would gladly stay in such a situation for the sake of His calling, the
stress would be nerve-wracking. That is our nature.

Like Don, I've often been in the company of other groups that felt just
fine. I'm even stickier than he on what I will and won't accept over the
long term, because I am Calvinist by conviction. Even then, there are
plenty of mission activities where it is never an issue.

--
Ed Hurst

---