[CS-FSLUG] Close but not quite

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Sep 19 01:11:49 CDT 2004

On Sunday September 19 2004 2:03 am, N. Thompson wrote:
> Sorry if this is a double post, my e-mails were all recently cleaned out.
>
> I've been using SUSE for a few days and I've found little wrong with it
> except for a few things:
>
> 1. Its the easiest distribution to bog down out of all of them I've tried
> so far, OO.o, YaST even lighter programs will cause it to skip while
> playing music.
> 2. KOffice is rendered absolutely useles, I've made progress in getting the
> spell checker to work but it will only check the very first line of a
> document,   there is no point in keeping it now since thats a problem in
> the code and not something I can fix.
> 3. OpenOffice.org is still missing words from the en_CA dictionary I
> installed using the dictOOo macro, the words are not missing from the
> dictionary itself however but rather the default dictionary that
> OpenOffice.org uses.

'Been using SUSE longer than anyone here, I think. I've not had any of these
problems. What version did you install?

> Right now half my ram is at the computer store being replaced so that may
> be contributing to #1 but I still have 256 MB as well as a 508 MB swap
> partition.

I have 1G of RAM and a 2G swap, but I do a LOT of editing of large pics. in
Gimp.

> I'm hoping some listfolk could provide some insight as to how I could
> resolve some of these issues, especially if anyone could tell me how to
> improve on problem #1.

See above.....what version?

Fred

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."