[CS-FSLUG] There is more to this than mere denominations

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Wed Sep 15 08:44:27 CDT 2004

Part of the problem is that there are some folks who are truly
cross-denominational, non-denominational, or whatever, but most of us never
come in contact with them.  I have seen many stellar examples of groups who
have done a great job bridging the denominational gaps.

I am a missionary computer guy who has worked with over 60 mission agencies.  I
have worked with the Assemblies of God, and I have worked with ABWE
(Association of Baptists for World Evangelism), and many other denominationally
based missions.  But my favorite thing of all is working with a fuzzy group,
ICCM (www.iccm.org)  ICCM is the International Conference on Computing and
Mission, and is held every year (usually at Taylor University in Indiana).  The
thing that is remarkable about this conference is that there are tons of people
of there from different denominations, and it all works out without bloodshed
or any real bickering.

I recently had the joy of having a friend of mine visit ABWE, who had provided
some of the leadership for ICCM over the last year.  ABWE has all the men
dressed in suits and the women in long dresses, is very strict about a lot of
things (haircuts, bearing, language (of the swearing sort, not being
ethnocentric :), and many other things).  But at ICCM, none of this shows at
all.  They very graciously step away from their strictness and work along with
folks like I-Teams who has a 45-year old computer-guy with a mohawk and shorts.

I guess what I am trying to say is that, while there is a lot we could be doing
better, one should not be totally discouraged.  There are pockets of unity
among Christian parties that disagree.  I wish there were more of them.

	- Tim Young, Field Consultant
	LightSys Technology Services
	(www.lightsys.org)