[CS-FSLUG] Yet another font fix

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Wed Sep 15 07:19:48 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 09:48, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 September 2004 00:54, Ed Hurst wrote:
> >
> >>Now, in FreeBSD, the 'startx -dpi 100' switch won't work (it's
> >>a long story).
> >
> > Just nitpicking...
> >
> > Perhaps you should try the following:
> >
> > startx -- -dpi 100
>
> Also won't work, though I confess I have no idea what the double dash
> means. I have to nomiate the window manager with full path.

The startx script is a frontend for xinit, which is the real program
that starts the X Window System. The double dash means that whatever
that is at the right is going to be ignored by startx and be passed
directly to xinit.

So, 'startx -- -dpi 100' means something like : "start X using 'xinit
-dpi 100' as my command'

Perhaps the syntax have changed. Try 'man xinit' to see the possible
command line options.

Blessings,

Eduardo

--