[CS-FSLUG] video capture

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Tue Sep 14 21:20:35 CDT 2004

Quoting "Timothy R. Butler" <tbutler at uninetsolutions.com>:

> cam to convert VHS. Some of the TV tuner/recorder cards probably would
> do the trick... but you need one that has a built in MPEG hardware
> encoder, I think, for Linux.

It might save you a few CPU cycles to go with one with a built-in MPEG encoder
(eg. the Hauppage PVR- series of cards), but it isn't a necessity.

On a semi-related note, I do wish that they would introduce some tivo-ish
service to Canada.  Right now the only way to do that sort of thing here is
with high-end digital cable boxes or satellite boxes.  I really don't want the
hassle/noise/expense of building a Linux-based PVR.

David