LCD's (was: Re: [CS-FSLUG] Linux/Programming magazines)

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 14 20:04:08 CDT 2004

> Traditionally in Windows, KDE, Gnome and every other window manager and
> operating system I've seen the button ordering went in the order
> 'Yes', 'No',
> 'Cancel' however in GTK now the button ordering is 'No', 'Yes',
> 'Cancel'
> which is really annoying and unlike Windows, BeOS, KDE and every other
> window
> manager I've tried except for Gnome and maybe XFCE since they both now
> use
> the new GTK.

	Save boxes:

	[Don't Save] [Cancel] [Save]

	Software update:

	[Quit] [Install]

	Terminal Terminate Process Confirmation:

	[Cancel] [Terminate]

	-etc-

	It is very hard to find No, Yes, Cancel boxes. But, best I can tell,
the grand daddy of GUI's follows neither Gnome's or Windows' methods.
Like what Gnome is doing, you will find Mac OS (including X) uses a few
buttons as possible -- system preferences applets do not have Ok/Apply
buttons -- everything happens as you tell it to. Simplicity is the key.

	Gnome is following the pattern, but here's the difference: Gnome is
working on simplification, Mac OS has been simple from the beginning.
Thus one is "under construction." Here is something to think about both
concerning Gnome (somewhat) and Mac OS (a lot): you will probably hate
working with them at first. Especially in the case of Mac OS, you have
to unlearn certain Windowsesque things and learn the techniques that
Microsoft "corrupted" in creating Windows.

	I've been using Mac OS X for awhile now, and for the first bit, I
really didn't like some parts of it (although I liked it overall). Now,
I really like its way of doing things and appreciate where Gnome
follows Apple's lead. But it requires an adjustment period.

	Sort of like getting rid of a rotary telephone in favor of a new 5 GHz
digital cordless. At first the 5 GHz cordless will seem very alien and
weird. But soon enough the freedom it provides and the simplicity of
its touch tone dial and memory functions will make you glad you no
longer have to do the Brrrrrr-Ratatatatatata of a rotary phone. :-)

	As an aside: concerning your pondering of the iMac G5 vs. the
PowerBook. Go with the PowerBook, I'd say. The G5's power is...
amazing. But, the PowerPC G4 processor is no slouch, and the PB G4 1.33
GHz systems will put up a very good show and provide you with
portability. Essentially the only big benefit to a G5 for you, I
suspect, would be that it would be much faster at compiling code.
Otherwise, you'll probably never notice the difference.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)