[CS-FSLUG] Churches Using GNU/Linux

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 18:01:41 CDT 2004

I appreciate the responses.  This is actually quite helpful.  I'm in
contact with a fellow in England, who is from the former Yugoslavia,
and is _very_ eager to advocate Linux within his church.  He's
apparently doing some sort of speech & demo.  Anyway, he just sent an
e-mail today asking for examples of other churches deploying Linux.
So the timeliness is uncanny.  I have been eager to discover other
churches using Linux, and how they use it.

It would be good if we could highlight some of these deployments in a
decent article.  I've got to write another article about migration
strategies for churches (religious groups).  The benefits of knowing
about other churches' deployments should be fairly obvious.
<> Knowing that other churches use Linux in a serious deployment is
helpful for advocacy purposes.

<> Knowing how churches have deployed Linux is helpful for developing
migration strategies.  As we share information, we can help each other
understand what obstacles have to be overcome.  When I announced the
fact that CHADDB is now moving forward in one forum, a guy responded
effectively that our project would not match the quality of their
church management software, even though it's overpriced (presumably
because CHADDB is FOSS).

So the idea that FOSS = poor quality is an issue that needs to be
addressed.  Other issues need to be addressed as well.

Don

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:59:43 -0700, mcumings at cobalt.local.net

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist