[CS-FSLUG] TD: CS-BibleStudy: Hosea 4

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Wed Sep 8 12:00:45 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 09:35, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Timothy R. Butler wrote:
>
> > 1.) What do you see as the most important part of this passage?
>
> It's a laundry list of the ways the nation has pursued idolatry. Bad
> enough they worship at shrines physically, but they worship the gods of
> the heart, too: lying, stealing, oppression, etc.

I like to nit-pick... (what a way to start eh?)

As I'm reading this the outward and inward idolatry are considered
separate actions, and the outward action is downplayed in the light of
the inward action.

I tend to consider the outward action as the result of the inward action
and, as such, a display of an abandonment to the inward sin rather than
an attempt to pull away from it. Therefore, the outward action denotes a
more serious condition of the heart than the inward action alone.

I get the feeling that I'm mis-interpreting your words, so feel free to
clear this up and discuss the minute details as seems appropriate. :-)

JSR/