[CS-FSLUG] PD: Robertson and Falwell final denounced by religiousleaders

Christopher Rose kf6snj at lycos.com
Tue Sep 7 08:46:02 CDT 2004

American politics aside, the question that must be ask is this:

What is the platform of the church in the 21st century? Indeed, the ELCA has made it increasingly obvious that they support so-called "gay marriage". Indeed, in a the most recent issue of WordAlone Network News, the ELCA's lobbying office, called LOGA, sent a statement to congress opposing the Federal Marriage Amendent. Furthermore, the ELCA has condemned those states that oppose so-called "gay marriage". On top of that, the ELCA is currently still in communion with the ECUSA, despite the fact that the rest of the Anglican community has more or less denounced them as being in apostacy.

Right now, we need to look at our churches, we need to closely examine what they teach and how it truly lines up with scripture. I will admit that adiaphoria, such as the study of end time prophecies, will never have a final disclosure. However, other practices and philosophies will. There are many things in the modern church that are heresy. Some of these things include "The Prayer of Jabez". The heresy here is not so much the prayer itself as it is how it is taught. Another item that needs closer examination is how "spiritual gifts" are discerned, and how we teach about them. Indeed, I have been to many a church in which the claim is made that unless you "speak in tongues" you ARE NOT saved. Now then, I do not "speak in tongues" but I confesses Christ Jesus as Lord and Saviour. Does this mean that I am unsaved? I should think not. Indeed, Martin Luther is never recorded as speaking in tongues and yet he is considered in as being amongst the saved. Furthermore, much like mys
 elf, Martin Luther never "felt saved". He mainly felt the oppression of his sin. Being saved isn't a feeling, and whether or not you have a certain spriritual gift should not be a way to judge whether or not you are saved (there is good discussion of this at http://www.luthercomment.org/ProblemsWith%20Alpha.htm and is well worth reading).

Let us put aside this petty political yabbering and look at the bigger picture of what is happening in the church.

In Christ,

Christopher

P.S. If anyone is interested, I have a copy of the Triglota Concordia (Book of Concord) on my hard drive and I am willing to send it to anyone that merely asks, but please as off list as I do not to force everyone to have it without permission.