[CS-FSLUG] PD: Robertson and Falwell final denounced by religious leaders

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Mon Sep 6 18:31:30 CDT 2004

Don Parris wrote:

[snip]

> No one will ever be able to tell me that there is not a better way to
> destroy our enemies.  Even Sun Tzu suggests that you keep your enemy
> as your closest friend.  There's a reason for that, you know.  Paul
> said that showing kindness is like heaping hot coals over your enemy's
> head.  He would not have passed that onto us if he didn't experience
> that first hand.  I have lived it myself.  Ghandi lived it.  King
> Lived it.

I personally find Ghandi and King irrelevant in this because both were
notorious sinners of one flavor or another. However, I see the point you
make about victory by other means, and that is quite true.

> Bush is a diplomatic failure - at best.  Yet, Christian media seem to
> take sides, promoting him as "righteous" compared to the alternatives.
>  All he has to do is keep opposing gay marriage, and he'll be
> "America's man" for the oval office in the sight of the Christian
> media.  I wonder what the Christian media would do if he backed down
> on that?

Bear in mind, Bush in many ways is just the figure head. That makes the
evangelical fawning all the more offensive. He's holding the reins, so
to speak, of a split run-away team. One side -- CIA, State Dept.,
Defense Dept. appointees, etc. -- are currently run by those determined
to help God bring about the Last Days as they view them, by helping a
modern Israel currently far removed from any interest in the Covenant.
The other side -- DoJ, a big chunk of the Military (as opposed to SecDef
and company), along with other wonks -- care nothing for such
eschatological motives. These two sides of the run-away team have been
fighting tooth and nail since the election, and to a lesser degree from
before it. Naturally there are other factions that wax and wane, but I
see these two making all the moves right now.

The claim that our current expeditions in Afghanistan and Iraq are
actually early steps in crushing the Islamofascists is specious at best.
  Saddam was by no means a friend of radical Muslims, though he may have
used them from time to time. The Taliban in Afghanistan had only one
sin, and that was refusing to let the pipeline across their territory.
Like Saddam, the U.S. foreign policy made them by empowering them
against our enemies, making them our proxies. When they turned against
us, plans were made to crush them long before 9/11. The massacre was
just the excuse they were waiting for. I, for one, am not entirely
convinced 9/11 was the work of foreigners anyway. Yes, I really do
believe my government would murder its own citizens, having seen such a
casual disregard for truth and justice from the inside.

> Incidentally, I'm neither Democrat nor Republican.  I'm unaffiliated.
> I refuse to be associated with the likes of either of these two
> parties.

Ditto. I'm a follower of Jesus, and I will vote my conscience, which is
usually expressed well by the Libertariain Party, but not often enough
for me to join them.

Just another radical fool, so feel free to ignore me.

--
Ed Hurst