[CS-FSLUG] PD: Robertson and Falwell final denounced by religious leaders

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 17:19:31 CDT 2004

Actually, the WMD issue plays a lesser role in my thinking.  I'm
thinking more about my difference of opinion regarding the whole War
on Terror.  The WMD issue is a symptom of failed diplomacy.  The
retaliatory approach is great up front.  We lost a great deal in terms
of life and economics with the 9/11 attacks.  We lost face.  So
retaliation makes sense on the surface.

I'd like to think I'd have taken a rather different approach, even if
that approach included going to war in Afghanistan and Iraq.  I
believe we could have developed a more diplomatic approach that, in
the end, would have also had more teeth.  We had an opportunity to
demonstrate humility, but chose pride.  We had an opportunity to make
allies, but instead aggravated the prevailing anti-American sentiments
against us.

At the same time, I would be much more interested in the Saudi
government's ties to the terrorists than the Bush administration & FBI
have been.  Allegedly, they blocked congress' investigation into those
ties.  Whether there are some in their government who would like to
undermine the royal family, or even they are involved is a question
that deserves an answer.   And why wouldn't our leaders be interested
in dispelling any connections there.

Again, I see Bush failing in the area of diplomacy.  Reagan destroyed
the Soviet Union through diplomacy.  It takes longer to accomplish the
mission, but saves countless lives and has a far greater impact in the
long run.  The key to problem solving is to first seek to understand
the other person, then to be understood.

I personally lived in a predominantly poor, black neighborhood for
three years here in Charlotte.  (Note: Charlotte seeths with racial
animosity, although on the surface, we appear quite friendly and
genteel - it's just part of the Southern Facade.)  I survived because
I didn't act like I showed humility and friendliness.  Because of
those traits, I blew away - over time - the popular opinion that I was
a "police spy".  When people saw me involved in their community, when
they saw me walking up, handing out fruit baskets with the homeowners
association, when they saw me get involved in their local church, they
came to see me in a different light.

No one will ever be able to tell me that there is not a better way to
destroy our enemies.  Even Sun Tzu suggests that you keep your enemy
as your closest friend.  There's a reason for that, you know.  Paul
said that showing kindness is like heaping hot coals over your enemy's
head.  He would not have passed that onto us if he didn't experience
that first hand.  I have lived it myself.  Ghandi lived it.  King
Lived it.

Bush is a diplomatic failure - at best.  Yet, Christian media seem to
take sides, promoting him as "righteous" compared to the alternatives.
 All he has to do is keep opposing gay marriage, and he'll be
"America's man" for the oval office in the sight of the Christian
media.  I wonder what the Christian media would do if he backed down
on that?

Incidentally, I'm neither Democrat nor Republican.  I'm unaffiliated.
I refuse to be associated with the likes of either of these two
parties.

Don