[CS-FSLUG] PD: Robertson and Falwell final denounced by religious leaders

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Sat Sep 4 23:39:08 CDT 2004

Don Parris wrote:

> There's no doubt that God is in charge.  However, I think it a bit
> presumptuouse for us to say for certain who God is behind.  After all,
> Israel & Judah got carted off because the all-knowing God who is in
> control of everything allowed kings to make their own choices, and
> even to lead the people astray.  Whichever way this election goes, God
> is in control.  No question about it.  But the leader in office when
> the ballot squabling stops will have to choose, just as Joshua - and
> every subsequent leader of Israel - did whether to be obedient to God
> or follow their own deluded heart.
>
> What I hate about elections is that the local Christian radio stations
> overwhelmingly support a man who has failed misrably as a diplomat.
> Frankly, I care very little for either Bush or Kerry.  I'm not certain
> which one scares me most.  On the hand, I can choose a man who went to
> war on faulty "evidence" - thus escalating the animosity of other
> nations toward us - and skewering whatever respect many other nations
> did have for us.

I was pondering saying something wise, if not profound, but I guess I'm
not much of either the past few days. I like to say God is sovereign,
but then I see some of the folks who got in office, and what they did
that was clearly sinful, and I have decided God's sovereignty  does not
form a meaningful part of the conversation. Of course He rules, but
that's not the point.

I used to love Robertson and Falwell, but now they get on my nerves. So
do both of the major candidates. I've blogged on it aplenty and won't
repeat those comments here. It is said of Jesus that He trusted Himself
to no man, and I am convinced it was His policy the whole time. The
context indicates that rulers specifically cannot be trusted.

Naturally I'll vote, though I am certain nothing will come of it. We in
the U.S. are sheeple, by and large. Far too many trust the word of
government figures. I vote knowing it is little more than a speck of
protest against the whole mess.

However, I will add my voice of resentment for big shot evangelicals
assuming I'm with them. It's bad enough they equate a vote for Bush with
holiness, but that they seem far more interested in influence than
truth. The lesser of two evils is still evil.

--
Ed Hurst

---