[CS-FSLUG] PD: Robertson and Falwell final denounced by religious leaders

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 22:33:31 CDT 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 23:27:37 -0400, Brian Derr <bderr at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:44:12PM -0700, Ralph De Witt wrote:
> > Christian leaders denounce Falwell, Robertson in New York Times ad
> > By Robert Marus
> > Associated Baptist Press
> > September 1, 2004
> [...]
> > The religious leaders' petition said the quotations prove that
> > Falwell and Robertson -- and other unnamed conservative Christian
> > leaders -- "mistakenly claim that God has taken a side in this
> > election, and that Christians should only vote for George W. Bush.
> >
> > "We believe that claims of divine appointment for the president,
> > uncritical affirmation of his policies, and assertions that all
> > Christians must vote for his re-election constitute bad theology and
> > dangerous religion," it continued, saying that "sincere Christians
> > and other people of faith can choose to vote for President Bush or
> > Senator Kerry -- for reasons deeply rooted in their faith."
>
> This is where I have to disagree with this group.  How can you think
> that God doesn't have a side?  God is running the show!  He obviously
> isn't going to be rooting for the wrong team and be disappointed when
> his pick doesn't win.  It is stupidity to try to say that God has no
> hand or doesn't take sides in political issues, He is in the center of
> them.

There's no doubt that God is in charge.  However, I think it a bit
presumptuouse for us to say for certain who God is behind.  After all,
Israel & Judah got carted off because the all-knowing God who is in
control of everything allowed kings to make their own choices, and
even to lead the people astray.  Whichever way this election goes, God
is in control.  No question about it.  But the leader in office when
the ballot squabling stops will have to choose, just as Joshua - and
every subsequent leader of Israel - did whether to be obedient to God
or follow their own deluded heart.

What I hate about elections is that the local Christian radio stations
overwhelmingly support a man who has failed misrably as a diplomat.
Frankly, I care very little for either Bush or Kerry.  I'm not certain
which one scares me most.  On the hand, I can choose a man who went to
war on faulty "evidence" - thus escalating the animosity of other
nations toward us - and skewering whatever respect many other nations
did have for us.

On the other hand, I can choose a man who supports gay marriages -
among a host of other issues I consider moral ground.  Given the two
of them, I'd vote for Mickey Mouse.  And even that might scare people.
 Just my pov. :)

Don