[CS-FSLUG] PD: ZELL'S FIRE AND BRIMSTONE

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Sep 4 14:31:56 CDT 2004

Falwell Confidential

Date: September 3, 2004
From: Jerry Falwell

ZELL'S FIRE AND BRIMSTONE

As a Baptist preacher, I have witnessed a few blistering sermons through the
years.  But I can't recall a sermon as scorching with passion and righteous
indignation as the Republican National Convention speech given by Sen. Zell
Miller, the Georgia Democrat who pulled no punches in identifying the
absolute surrender of his party to leftist special interest groups at this
pivotal time in our nation's history.

Speaking for the vast majority of Democrats and Republicans in the south, Sen.
Miller decried the Democrat policies that are "motivated more by partisan
politics" than by a concern for our national security.  It needed to be said
and Sen. Miller was the perfect man to deliver the message.

I was privileged to spend three days at the Republican Convention in New York
City and felt specifically honored that I was in the house to witness Sen.
Miller's moving call for bipartisanship in the defense of freedom and the
effort to safeguard our nation from those who seek to annihilate us.

While I knew that the left would criticize Sen. Miller for crossing party
lines and utilizing tough language, I never imagined how far that criticism
would go.

Erstwhile talk show host Dick Cavett actually accused Sen. Miller of looking
like a "Klansman" on the "Imus in the Morning" broadcast on Friday.  Two days
earlier, MSNBC talking head David Gergen suggested on a "Hardball" segment
that Sen. Miller was a "man of hate" in the vein of his one-time
segregationist boss, Georgia Democrat Gov. Lester Maddox.

Thankfully, conservative analyst Laura Ingraham, who was sitting on the MSNBC
dais with Mr. Gergen, ripped into him in defense of Sen. Miller.  In a heated
retort, she blasted those who would use such inflammatory rhetoric to attack
the senator because his speech had dared to expose the left's influence by
pacifists and globalists who don't have America's best interests at heart.

On her website (lauraingraham.com) this week, Ms. Ingraham furthered her
defense of Sen. Miller: "The usual suspects in the media (Joe Klein, Chris
Matthews, etc.) are breathless about Zell Miller's 'angry' convention speech.
Well, Zell has a right to be angry.  He's been a good Democrat his whole
life, and after he served as governor of Georgia, he goes to the U.S. Senate
and finds that the whole party has been taken over by elitists who despise
him and everything he stands for.  And on top of everything else, he has to
watch John Kerry - of all people - claim to be strong on defense.  That
should make a person mad. ..."

I appreciate the warrior spirit of Ms. Ingraham and her willingness to take a
stand.  We need more like her.  It's about time we see some righteous anger
to counter the reckless allegations that typically spring out from leftist
critics who ignore their own party's skeletons.

As for the overall state of the Republican Party, I can report that the GOP
platform is very reflective of our conservative ideals.  I was able to meet
with several party officials, including Senate Majority Leader William Frist,
who were actively involved in creating and guarding the platform.  I am happy
to report that the platform remains pro-life and pro-family.

I believe the platform has been just as important as the convention in the
accelerated momentum the GOP now has.

And now that the convention is over, many members of the mainstream media are
almost hysterical regarding the thrust the event brought President Bush.
Unlike John Kerry's dilemma after the Democratic Convention, where his poll
numbers remained virtually stagnant, President Bush got an immediate bump in
the polls (which some say may rise to 8-9 points by Monday).

I believe this is yet a clear indication that the majority of our fellow
Americans are tired of the notion that, as Sen. Miller described it, "America
is the problem, not the solution."  I thank God for intrepid men like Sen.
Zell Miller who will stand against a terrible tide of unreasonable
disparagement in order to defend the nation we love.

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."