[CS-FSLUG] How to resolve anapparent Linux crash

linux at rmf.mailshell.com linux at rmf.mailshell.com
Wed Sep 1 23:58:01 CDT 2004

Hi, Frank,
sorry for the delay. I just found out my Mailshell is treating some of my group emails as junk!

> "su -"  simulates a full login.  Without the dash, all (many?)
> environment variables are unchanged when switching to superuser.  With the dash, the environment is much more similar to an actual root login.
>
> Either form of the "su" command is preferred over actually doing login
> as root because use of the su command is logged.  For the truly security
> conscious, there is also the "sudo" command.  Combined with visudo
> command that edit/validates the /etc/sudoers file, this provides even more
> control - by restricting which commands a user can invoke as root.  It also
> allows for issuing commands without root password.  If you configure sudo with passwordless access to a shell like csh or ksh, then you basically have
> a passwordless version of "su" (I think it works like su without the
> dash).
>
> Frank

Hmm.. That's helpful, I think. But it will probably mean more to me when I've
used it more. What I need to remember for now is that su- is more powerful
but restricts the number of commands I can use? When I use su/su- (one dash or two?) I won't need my root password. Okay. Thanks.

Blessings,
Ruth