[CS-FSLUG] A Missionary's Hardware Questions

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Wed Sep 1 07:13:25 CDT 2004

Hi Helmut,

Welcome to the list. Now about your request,

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 05:48, Berkah wrote:
[snip]

First thing: When you have good, quality components, and the processor
is something within this 5 or 6 years, then the two most important
variables here are RAM and disk space.

> Both PCs:
>
> Main OS: Linux, but for the first 6 months we still need a dual-boot
PC with
> (forgive me to mention it) Windows XP.
>
> PC 1:
> "normal" user, mainly OpenOffice (all components), Bible software,
E-Mail,
> MP3 (sermons, tribal soundfiles), some basic work on pictures.

PC1: I would suggest a processor of at least 400 MHz, with at least 192
MB of RAM (256 minimum recommended). Use an 800x600 screen with 16 bpp
color depth. HDD: 40 GB

> PC 2:
> More "power user": additional to PC 1 a lot of DTP (which software is
there
> for Linux?), edditing pictures, larger text files and presentations,
> database etc.

I would suggest a P4/1.5 MHz with 512 MB RAM. HDD: 80 GB. Use a 1024x768
screen with 24 bpp.

About the desktop publishing software: Use Scribus 1.2. It's simply
terriffic.

Blessings,

Eduardo

--