[CS-FSLUG] A Missionary's Hardware Questions

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Wed Sep 1 04:39:17 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 12:48, Berkah wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I am a German missionary in Indonesia and will have to buy two new PCs.
> I am not so "updated" about all the latest hardware tests and developments
> here, of course ;-) Thats why I just dare to ask you for your advice. These
> are my requirements:
>
> Both PCs:
>
> Main OS: Linux, but for the first 6 months we still need a dual-boot PC
> with (forgive me to mention it) Windows XP.
>
> PC 1:
> "normal" user, mainly OpenOffice (all components), Bible software, E-Mail,
> MP3 (sermons, tribal soundfiles), some basic work on pictures.
>
> PC 2:
> More "power user": additional to PC 1 a lot of DTP (which software is there
> for Linux?), edditing pictures, larger text files and presentations,
> database etc.
>
> Just in case there would be somebody to give us some hints about the
> components of those two PCs, we would be very thankfull, as that would be a
> big help for our ministry! (Our old PCs, still running only on WIN, are
> becoming victims of the climate...).
>
> Thanks a lot,
> In eternal bonds,
> Helmut Mehringer, Borneo, Indonesia
(about hardware)
I am not an expert concerning hardware, but what I've learnt from other posts
I would start looking for the best components availabe that fit into my
budget and then compare them piece by piece with "Linux Hardware
Compatibility HOWTO" (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/).

Blessings,
Jukka