[CS-FSLUG] Migrating to Mandrake?

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Fri May 28 10:25:51 CDT 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:32:17 -0700
"Christopher l Rose" <kf6snj at lycos.com> wrote:

> First of all, my sincerest apologies to anyone that I may have
> offended in recent weeks. I have had a lot of stress in my life as of
> the last few weeks. For this, I am sorry. My job is taking a serious
> toll on my health and my attitude. I fear that I may be in desperate
> need of a vacation, which I doubt I will be able to get for some time
> to come yet. Any rate, time for me to shift gears and get to the
> primary topic:
>
> I am contemplating the formatting of a 10.5 GB hard disk to setup and
> test Mandrake 8.2 (it's all I have available to me outside of Red Hat
> 8-my current OS) on it. Now then, my question is as follows, is there
> a safe way for me to migrate my personal files from one OS to another
> without having to rely upon multiple disks and altering file formats?
> I ask for some of my files are abw (abiword) and others are win files
> (all text files, regardless). Any thoughts? Please note that I do not
> possess a cd-burner so I can not download the latest distribution of
> mandrake or any other distro.
>
> Oh, and as a personal aside: My son, Jeremiah (age 2) said "I love
> Jesus" without prompting about a week and a half ago and the other
> night while heading home from the store started to recite the Lord's
> prayer on his own. I am just plain floored by these things.
>
> In Christ,
>
> Christopher

You could ask someone on the list to mail you a more recent copy of a
suitable distro (8.2 is rather old).
About all your personal files:
Just make sure that you don't format /home -- you do have it on a
separate partition, don't you? -- during the next install (if you're not
sure about compatibility if you change to a different distro just copy
everything to a newly created user, then if need be you can wipe you're
own account to accommodate the new distro).

Keep the little one well fed :-) and ask your better_half for a good
relaxing massage :-)

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com