[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Mice

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Tue May 4 10:02:37 CDT 2004

At 09:57 AM 5/4/04, Josiah Ritchie wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 09:34, Frank Bax wrote:
> > At 09:15 AM 5/4/04, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> > >I've found it very difficult to live without a scroll wheel anymore.
> >
> > Same here.
> >
> > >You know you're a geek when you can wax nostalgic about peripherals. You
> > >might be a geek if you look at your peripherals and find Dell, Gateway
> > >and Microsoft logos on them and your computer is home built. :-)
> >

> > Nostalgia - I remember using an "external" touchpad mouse that connected
> > via mouse port.  It;s probably still in a box around here somewhere.
>
>I have two people on this network that still use serial touchpads. They
>are horrible things by today's standards. It has something to do with
>fear of carpal tunnel. One is built into the keyboard and have the old
>5-pin DIN connector also so I've had to dig up adapters for this
>keyboard so that they can keep the touchpad. :-)

A google search for "glidepoint touchpad" indicates you can still buy these
devices - separate or built-in to keyboard.  Forget the obsolete
connector.  Mine was for a "portable" PS/2 (which I still have).

Didn't I once read the carpal tunnel is a condition that can be fixed with
medication rather than surgery?

Frank