[CS-FSLUG] Why I'm going back to Windoze and Mandrake Linux

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Mar 26 17:23:38 CST 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 04:09:34PM -0500, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> >[snip]
> >> <yoda>
> >> Gentoo, the true meaning of Linux is!
> >> </yoda>
> >
> >....debian.
> >
> >if you are going to quote yoda, at least you could finish his
> >sentence.:-)
>
> Debian is a worth opponent, but lacking source goodness and superior
> documentation, not to mention an excellent forum from which to solve
> problems. :-)

(/me rolls up sleeves) i would dare say debian's developer community is
better organized and a greater resource for solving problems than *any*
*other* distribution.  for one, debian has been around longer (than
most; slackware, i believe, has been around longer than debian's ten
plus years).  debian *policy* forces debian to be better.  no other
distribution enforces good, sound policies as strictly as debian.  this
is not in any way to denigrate the gentoo community.  surely gentoo has
a great reputation for quality; it simply does not match debian's.
--
john-thomas
------