[CS-FSLUG] Immodesty in the church

l4c l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Fri Jun 25 16:55:37 CDT 2004

Fred Miller wrote:
> Immodesty in the church
>
>   Recently, I received the following email from a Texas pastor.  He wrote:
>
>    "I'm a church leader who is very concerned about the attire of some of our
> young mothers, wives, and their children who attempt to dress to appease the
> cultural fashion ideas of our society.
>    Just this past Sunday, I noticed a young mother who was wearing what I can
> only describe as something fit for the beach- to morning church services! I
> was so shocked, I didn�t know what to say or do.  I have had similar
> conversations with other (male) church leaders who have also noticed this.
> What is an appropriate way to convey to these mothers and/or their teenage
> daughters who dress in this manner, that it is entirely inappropriate without
> embarrassing them or making them feel uncomfortable?
>    I'm the one who is uncomfortable with how they  dress and appear at church.
> I shouldn't have to be subjected to their cleavage (in both body areas) or
> shots of their mid-riff while attempting to worship.   What's a gentle,
> loving response you have  had positive experience with in handling this type
> of situation? It's time to take a thoughtful stand here in Texas."
>
> So how does one address this?  A few thoughts.

Thou shalt dress according to my standards....?

I once read a story where a young man living on the streets came into
church one day dressed filthy - stinking to beat the band with no shoes.
  He came in and could find no seat - seems people wouldn't move over a
bit in the pews, so he decided to just squat down on the floor.  Amongst
all the stares and glares of the prudently and beautifully dressed
partitioners one old deacon got up off the pew and started walking down
the aisle toward the young man.  The deacon paused for a moment, and
then paritioners gasped as he got down on the floor next to the young
man and proceeded to worship and share jesus with him.

Focus on what's important.  Don't "take a stand" at all.  Try kneeling
instead....

--
- Linc Fessenden