[CS-FSLUG] Immodesty in the church

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Jun 22 21:47:51 CDT 2004

Immodesty in the church

  Recently, I received the following email from a Texas pastor.  He wrote:

   "I'm a church leader who is very concerned about the attire of some of our
young mothers, wives, and their children who attempt to dress to appease the
cultural fashion ideas of our society.
   Just this past Sunday, I noticed a young mother who was wearing what I can
only describe as something fit for the beach- to morning church services! I
was so shocked, I didn’t know what to say or do.  I have had similar
conversations with other (male) church leaders who have also noticed this.
What is an appropriate way to convey to these mothers and/or their teenage
daughters who dress in this manner, that it is entirely inappropriate without
embarrassing them or making them feel uncomfortable?
   I'm the one who is uncomfortable with how they  dress and appear at church.
I shouldn't have to be subjected to their cleavage (in both body areas) or
shots of their mid-riff while attempting to worship.   What's a gentle,
loving response you have  had positive experience with in handling this type
of situation? It's time to take a thoughtful stand here in Texas."

So how does one address this?  A few thoughts.

(1) Immodest dress is lust producing.  Immodest dress may turn heads but it
also stimulates wrong thinking - lust which is sin.

(2) Jesus' words:  "Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That
whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with
her already in his heart." [Matthew 5:28(KJV)]

(3) Further, God's word says  in Hebrews 12:14 "Pursue holiness without which
no man shall see the Lord."

(4) Dressing immodestly - is not pursuing holiness. However, this doesn't
absolve men of their responsibility.  Men are not to lust.  But would a truly
Christian woman not abstain from dressing in a way that  titillates
vulnerable men who are weak visually?

  What Christian would  knowingly contribute to the downfall of another?

We urge you - by the mercies of God - please be careful.

To Unsubscribe:
http://listmail.afo.net/cgi-bin/plm/un.cgi?e=fmiller@lightlink.com&l=ada

HOLINESS:

"Holiness is the habit of being of one mind with God, according as we find His
mind described in Scripture.  It is the habit of agreeing in God's judgment -
hating what He  hates, loving what He loves - and measuring everything in
this world by the standard of His Word. He who most entirely agrees with God,
he is the most holy man....
  He will have a decided bent of mind toward God, a heart desire to do His
will, a greater fear of displeasing Him than of displeasing the world, and a
love to all His ways. ..."
[From the book Holiness by J.C. Ryle]

--
"Ballmer is no more designed for the art of persuasion
than the Abrams tank is for delivering meals on wheels."