[CS-FSLUG] DSL (Verizon) vs. Cable (RoadRunner)

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Wed Jun 23 18:52:57 CDT 2004

Quoting K Montgomery <keltik at albany.edu>:

> Thanks for the comments (and thanks to everyone who gave similar
> comments).  I didn't realize there was more to the comparison.
>
> Some of the students I supervise are gamers -- they should be able to
> give me some input, or point me in the right direction.  I'll also check
> out dslreports.com.

Asking gamers might lead to an overemphasis on latency.  Low latency is good,
but if you're just browsing web pages and downloading some big files (cable
during the night can be great for downloading things... I've hit near 10
megabits/sec whereas residential DSL is capped at 1.5 megabits here for the
basic package), throughput might be more important.

I would also double-check if these rates are promotional.  A lot of the local
companies here offer a certain rate for the first year, with a higher one after
that.

Oh, and sometimes DSL will be in the form of PPPoE, which requires additional
"fun" to configure, whereas all the cable modems I've seen will spit out an
ethernet signal.

David