[CS-FSLUG] Making disk images for backups

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Jun 11 21:35:41 CDT 2004

I just had an incident with Windows XP after trying ares desktop, Grub
(hard to remove) was giving me trouble and I was unable to restore the
Windows boatloader from spare mandrake CD's (those usually do the trick
though) so I tried the Windows XP cd. The commands for rescue on the
Windows XP CD are unfortunately too similar sometimes and I ended up
setting my computer up with a windows boot loader and two different
entries for Windows, I tried to find out how to remove the spare entries
but after having accidentally created a few more I discovered it was
impossible and then I reinstalled Windows XP.

The re-installation process was long and unpleasant, the first time I
found out that Windows had kept my program files folder from the
add/remove programs were there, so I had to do a second reinstall and
that time I made sure to have the drive reformatted previous to the
installation starting.

Now I would like to make some sort of backup of my windows system with
some sort of disk imaging tool if there is one available in either Linux
or Windows. Does anyone know of one that I can get for free?