[CS-FSLUG] The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Thu Jun 10 11:00:19 CDT 2004

In general, Fedora/SUSE/RH use i386 RPMs with a high number of patches,
customizations and add-ons, not to mention special daemons, and the
packages are compiled with less optimizations.

I know, because there were aeons of difference in performance between
Fedora 1 and Mandrake 9.1. Mandrake starts bloated, but once you
customize it, it gets very snappy. That's because MDK chooses always
optimizations for space and performance.

Blessings,

Eduardo

On Thursday 10 June 2004 11:41, Jukka Y wrote:
> On Thursday 10 June 2004 18:35, Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
> > However, you can't do that with SUSE/Fedora/RH.
>
> Can you explain this a bit more? What prevents tweaking them? I am
interested
> this because (as you may have seen from my previous postings) I'm
still stuck
> with Suse :-).
>
> Blessings,
> Jukka

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
	INFANT JOY

"I have no name;		Pretty joy!
I am but two days old."		Sweet joy, but two days old.
What shall I call thee?		Sweet Joy I call thee:
"I happy am,			Thou dost smile,
Joy is my name."		I sing the while;
Sweet joy befall thee!		 Sweet joy befall thee!

	-- William Blake