[CS-FSLUG] The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 10 02:09:47 CDT 2004

Here's a copy of my comment to the article:

I know I'm going to get martyred for this but the article is right, sure
its not Linux itself but the include apps that are the problem. As much
as I like Linux I will not deny that ever since I started using it I
kept wondering where I was supposed to find all that extra speed
everyone was talking about.

In my case I've found KDE 3 to start apps faster then Windows XP home
but in KDE I use Konqueror and KMail and in Windows I use the Mozilla
suite which is heavier (more features) then Konqueror and KMail and
therefore an exception can be made for the extra few second it takes to
load.

I can't say anything for Microsoft office because its been a long time
since I've used it but Corel WordPerfect Office in Windows has a lot
more features then OpenOffice.org and starts up faster (albeit OO.o is
also available on Windows, Linux and MacOS).

I know how miserable it is to try and install any Linux distribution
(except for the antiquated Debian woody) on old hardware never mind run
it because the minimum requirements have been increasing so fast, using
an old distribution isn't always an option because those don't meet the
software requirements for running new apps any more so the only two
options now are either to use source based distributions or buy a new
computer every two years.

IMO Linux will survive for a long time to come because of the $0 price
tag on most distributions and the free developer tools and KDE of course
but something does need to be done to resolve the minimum requirements
issue or the next free OS with free developer tools that comes around is
going to outperform Linux and get all its users.

I get the impression that a lot of the people who commented either
didn't bother to read the entire article or didn't bother to read it at
all, there is mention of source based Linux distributions being a
possible solution but as the article said how is a newbie supposed to
manage installing a distribution like Gentoo (yes newbies do end up
having to do their own installs, they don't all have a seasoned Linux
veteran to turn to).

Its getting to the point now where it would be more worth people's time
to buy a used copy of Windows 95/98 off eBay and use that with free
tools like Zone alarm, Grisoft AVG and Spybot Search & Destroy rather
then use one of the latest Linux distributions even if a lot of them are
free.

------

In order to understand the comment about being martyred you'd have to
know happens to people who voice their opinion on OSNews, especially
when the majority of people are against you.