[CS-FSLUG] The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 10 01:26:13 CDT 2004

Consider these memory requirements for Fedora Core 2, as specified by
Red Hat: /Minimum for graphical: 192MB/ and /Recommended for graphical:
256MB/ Does that sound any alarm bells with you? 192MB minimum? I've
been running Linux for five years (and am a huge supporter), and have
plenty of experience with Windows, Mac OS X and others. And those
numbers are shocking -- severely so. No other general-purpose OS in
existence has such high requirements. Linux is /getting very fat/.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7324&page=1

I don't usually like OSNews but this article has a very good point that
cannot be ignored, I've seen what its like to try and install and run
Linux on older computers myself and it is a very serious problem. On my
old Celeron 466 back when I had it, it got to the point where Windows
was in fact faster then Linux in some places and that was quite a while
ago, now I've got a Pentium 4 with smp and Windows would still be (much)
faster were it not for the requirement of Anti-virus, firewall,
anti-spyware, anti-adware (the list goes on) software. Linux has a very
devoted <cough>zealous<cough> user base that unfortunately lets that
blind them, when the problem gets too bad I think the worse of us are
just going to say "switch to Gentoo/CRUX/LFS or stop complaining" while
the rest are going to switch to FreeBSD, Syllable, SkyOS or back to Windows.