[CS-FSLUG] Anybody fluent with PHP?

David M. dave at edificationweb.com
Mon Jun 7 22:34:05 CDT 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 09:36 pm, Frank Bax wrote:
> At 08:38 PM 6/7/04, David M. wrote:
> >Anyone here know any PHP?
>
> I've written a several thousand lines of code over past four years - does
> that qualify?
>
> >I am trying so hard to understand classes and how to write them, but I
> > just don't seem to grasp the concept.
>
> Early on in my php coding, I decided to use a database abstraction layer,
> and chose phplib (pear didn't exist at the time).  What I know about
> classes, I picked up from the php code (and a night school course in C++
> many years ago).  This past winter, I decided to write a few simple classes
> from scratch - they're only purpose was to remove repetitive code in my
> scripts, where functions diddn't quite work.
>
> >Anyone know of any good resources where I can learn more about classes in
> > php?
>
> Sorry, I did it the hard way, but I'll volunteer to review code if that'll
> help.

The Tutorial worked wonders, I now understand the concept of classes and I've
written a simple class thats working, and now I'm going to expand on it.

The class I'm trying to accomplish will be a series of small tables that will
act as "boxes" for content with each box being placed on the page controlled
by a style sheet. This way no "box" will be dependant on anything else and
the user will be able to specify where they want the box to appear using a
point and click interface. These boxes will also not show on the page if they
do not contain any content.

This is still just a rough draft of my thoughts on how it will work, things
may change in the course of development, but my main goal is to be able to
build a template that is fully customizable by the user without having to
ever look at the code.

I don't know if this has ever been done, but it's really mostly for learning
purposes, and may turn into something more in the future.

Anyway, after about 2 weeks of trying and trying to grasp the concept and
looking for a good resource to explain it, I finally found the site I
mentioned earlier and it worked for me 100% and now I am so excited that I
finally understand it.

Now this will not only help me in my PHP coding, but also in my learning
classes in C++.

God is great indeed!

David M.