[CS-FSLUG] SUSE 9.1 and Final exams

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Mon Jun 7 03:42:32 CDT 2004

On Sunday 06 June 2004 22:19, N. Thompson wrote:
 [snip]
> I'd like to follow up on that a little, I just finished booting and (with
> nothing else running) I launched KMail for the first time since having
> booted, when I started it up the mouse cursor started skipping frames and
> the system was obviously having trouble. The mouse also did likewise when I
> closed KMail. I find that the bogging down of the system is very severe as
> in Mandrake Linux I can run a lot of applications and not have any
> noticeable lag at all.
>
> BTW Skipping frames doesn't strike me as that severe as long as the sound
> isn't skipping as well although admittedly it *shouldn't* be happening and
> it likely is a nuisance.

Sorry that my comment took so long - I didn't notice your post last evening
and couldn't answer until now.

The problems you described with KMail and other programs sound weird for me??
I have never had them and because of that I feel that our problems with YaST
were caused by different reasons (mine is probably related to small
processing power). You should visit suse-users irc-channel (I know one is
located in freenode.net) or check some of their mailing list, because you can
ask help only from other users if you have done free ftp-installation. If
your problems are not related your configuration or hardware, there *must* be
also others who have noticed the same. You may of course get some tips even
if your problems are configuration/hardware-related.

[snip]
> > I have done similar calculations too and I wish someone in my work could
> > see/take them seriously - they are upgrading computer system next week
> > and linux was accepted only as a server. I asked if I could have Linux at
> > least for myself but it was not possible. Maybe someday.
>
> Thats unfortunate, I am hoping that if I get a job in which I need to use a
> computer that I can use Linux myself. If I were in your situation I would
> purchase a notebook computer and do all my work on that instead. I already
> have plans to save up for one if I get the job at Future Shop or somewhere
> else this summer, I hope to find some work I can handle and would
> appreciate some prayer support :-) .

I hope and pray that you can find work for this summer!

Blessings,
Jukka