[CS-FSLUG] SUSE 9.1 and Final exams

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Jun 6 14:19:41 CDT 2004

On June 6, 2004 02:10 am, Jukka Y wrote:
> On Sunday 06 June 2004 09:57, N. Thompson wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I'm curious, do you find it boggs down very severely sometimes? I find
> > that happens with my system and its very noticeable especially when I'm
> > listening to music in XMMS and running YaST (especially when starting
> > YaST, the music will skip severely). As I find this a recurring problem
> > with both the 9.0 and 9.1 FTP versions and I doubt SUSE would market a
> > product that has this kind of issue I am very convinced that this is
> > particular to the FTP version and will not be a problem in the personal
> > and professional editions and I'm hoping you can confirm my suspicion for
> > me.
>
> I think it is same with this boxed (update-) version. I noticed it while
> watching tv and using YaST - tv started skipping frames, freezing a picture
> awhile.

I'd like to follow up on that a little, I just finished booting and (with
nothing else running) I launched KMail for the first time since having
booted, when I started it up the mouse cursor started skipping frames and the
system was obviously having trouble. The mouse also did likewise when I
closed KMail. I find that the bogging down of the system is very severe as in
Mandrake Linux I can run a lot of applications and not have any noticeable
lag at all.

BTW Skipping frames doesn't strike me as that severe as long as the sound
isn't skipping as well although admittedly it *shouldn't* be happening and it
likely is a nuisance.

> > I have also sent an e-mail to SUSE asking them the same.
> >
> > For the record I am running a Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz with 2 256 Mb chips of
> > DDR ram and I have a GForce FX 5200 Video card as well as  a 512 Mb swap
> > partition.
>
> I thought the reason is too "heavy" installation (5.27 Gb - I don't even
> know what unnecessary programs/services there is running at background ;-)
> for my computers performance (dual Celeron 500 Mhz, 378 Mb SDRAM/PC133 ram,
> Matrox G400 DH videocard and 754 Mb swap), but if you have similar symptoms
> with much better hardware, the reason must be somewhere else.

Mine is 5.4 Gb although I went with *all* the development tools and other
accessories and I don't regret it. The size of the installed system shouldn't
make a big difference at all.

> > So far SUSE 9.1 seems to be the ideal system for programmer and power
> > users, it works flawlessly except for the performance issue which I'm
> > hoping is specific to the FTP version, it comes with all the development
> > tools one might ever need including KDevelop, Gambas, KRPMBuilder, the
> > latest Quanta plus, the latest version of The gimp and Rekall, everything
> > sport a unified theme (or so it seems although GTK and KDE widgets do not
> > look not perfectly identical) and its very easy to maintain.
>
> I noticed that there were some libraries missing, when I was not able to
> upgrade Gimp to 2.0.1-version (it upgraded without a hitch in SuSE 9.0
> Pro)..

Ok, maybe I don't have the latest Gimp but its new enough for me (2.0) :-) .

> > In order to beat what SUSE has included in their professional edition
> > Microsoft would have to take Windows XP professional ($299 USD), Visual
> > Studio .net professional ($1 079 USD), Microsoft Office XP standard ($399
> > USD) and hundreds of other applications and make the entire package
> > available for just under $100 CAD.
>
> I have done similar calculations too and I wish someone in my work could
> see/take them seriously - they are upgrading computer system next week and
> linux was accepted only as a server. I asked if I could have Linux at least
> for myself but it was not possible. Maybe someday.

Thats unfortunate, I am hoping that if I get a job in which I need to use a
computer that I can use Linux myself. If I were in your situation I would
purchase a notebook computer and do all my work on that instead. I already
have plans to save up for one if I get the job at Future Shop or somewhere
else this summer, I hope to find some work I can handle and would appreciate
some prayer support :-) .